Saturday, October 16, 2010

my boy, the scout

We went to the "Thunderbird Games" today up at Croton Park. It was fairly mild and sunny, but the wind was whipping something wicked and the Hudson River was full of muddy chop. Alex and I wore our uniforms, so new they still had their original creases in them. I haven't put our patches and badges on yet, because I made an attempt to sew them on and, well, that just wasn't going to happen, so I need to go out and buy some liquid stitch or badge magic - one of the two.

The Thunderbird Games are huge - there are thousands of kids and parents participating in all kinds of cool activities from the stuff I can describe without much trouble (archery, sling shot, bouncy castle) to other stuff that would take a really long time to explain, (a kid is on what looks like a fashioned together easel that is tethered at the top with 5 ropes that 5 leaders are holding onto the ends of, trying to balance this kid as he moves across the field...? huh?).

Alex was into it, I could tell, he tried a few of the activities and I stood and watched, beaming with pride I've never felt before. I'm a den leader now, that's where my life has brought me, and as long as my son has curiosity and enthusiasm for this, I will be right there with him.

I actually led my first den meeting last night - nearly all our scouts turned out which was 10, though I think we have a few more that have signed up. I was up to the task and had done my homework, which paid off because the meeting moved along pretty well with our cub promise reading, our pizza making, and our discussion about conifer and deciduous trees. Part of me felt like a complete geek and part of me felt like Supermom, holding the attention of nearly a dozen 6 year old boys, making them laugh and follow my lead. The honest truth is, I'm just doing this for Alex. I hope he enjoys it and has a good experience. I think he has all the makings of a thrifty, brave, and reverent kid. At the moment though, I think he's just into the cool uniform.

By the way, for those of you who are curious, the dog is still here. His paw is pretty bad, but he still manages to swipe food off the table when no one is looking, and today he barked a rabbit out of the neighbor's yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment